The Vector-borne Disease Lab is dedicated to the control of emerging tick-and mosquito-borne diseases. We seek to
• understand the environmental interactions of vectors, hosts, habitats, and climate,
• monitor the geography of risk, and to
• increase public awareness of the threat of tick-and mosquito-borne diseases.
As a public service, this website provides
• information on Lyme and other tick-borne diseases,
• descriptions of tick species in Maine,
• our research findings,
• tips on how to avoid tick bites, and
• an interactive questionnaire with which landowners may select appropriate approaches for controlling ticks.
For more information:
Vector-borne Disease Laboratory
Maine Medical Center Research Institute
81 Research Drive
Scarborough, ME 04074
Phone: (207) 396-8246
• The Maine Tick Identification Program is now at:
UMaine Extension Tick ID Lab
491 College Avenue
Orono, Maine 04473-1295
• This is not a clinical practice. For clinical information, please contact your health care provider or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Before proceeding, please read our disclaimer.